Thinking of switching to an organic diet? You’ve made the right choice. There are countless benefits to paying closer attention to the food you’re eating, how it’s grown, and what impact it has on the environment.
Given that pasta is a staple dish enjoyed by countless families around the world, discussing the benefits of cooking with organic pasta sauce is a good place to start when making this transition. Continue reading to learn more about the positive impact you’ll be making on your own health, that of your family and of the world around you.
What is organic food?
Organic food is defined as food that has been grown without the use of synthetic chemicals and genetically modified compounds. In Australia, a broad array of food is available in organic form, including fruits and vegetables, legumes, grains, and honey.
Animals can also be kept in organic settings. Animals raised in an organic environment have plenty of room to roam around and are not fed food that contains growth hormones or any other type of artificial ingredients. When doing your grocery shopping, you may notice the availability of organic meat, eggs, cheese, and other dairy products. Importantly, these animals are also raised in a manner that will not cause undue harm to the environment.
As much as eating organic produce is about improving our own health, it’s also about taking seriously our responsibility to the world around us. 21st century farming practices often strip the land of its natural resources, contributing to climate change and the devastating impacts of rising temperatures. Organic farming involves working in harmony with ecosystems: rotating crops to prevent nutrient depletion, conserving water, and using renewable energy to power farming.
Health benefits of organic food
Consuming organic food comes with a broad variety of health benefits. If you’re looking to make the move to an organic diet, choosing to purchase products like organic pasta sauce is a very simple first step you can take.
These days, the broad range of organic products means you’ll only be paying a few cents more for your organic sauce. The health benefits you and your family can expect to enjoy include:
● Avoiding antibiotics and synthetic hormones: Animals are often fed antibiotics, which are designed to protect them against illness. Unfortunately, these substances can make their way into the food that we eat, increasing our resistance to medication and causing multiple health issues. Organic animal products contain no trace of antibiotics, which is certainly a positive.
● Increased nutrients: Some studies have shown that fruit and vegetables grown under organic conditions may offer increased nutrients to consumers. Some organic products have increased levels of antioxidants, which play a role in protecting your body against heart disease and cancer.
● Reduced pesticides: The demand for mass produced fruits, vegetables, and grains all-year round has meant farmers have had to turn to pesticides to protect their crops from insects and other nasties. Unfortunately, these substances may have a negative impact on our health. Organic farmers use only natural fertilisers, meaning you don’t have to worry about the impact of unknown chemicals on your wellbeing.
Cooking with organic pasta sauce
The great part about cooking with organic pasta sauce is that it’s not different from regular sauce! A few tips to help you get the most out of your sauce, regardless of the origins of ingredients:
● Pasta should be added to the sauce, not the other way around.
● Add a splash of pasta water to your sauce to help thicken it.
● Add a handful of fresh herbs to your jar of organic pasta sauce to give your dish an extra punch.
Enjoy the benefits of going organic! You’re doing the right thing by yourself and the environment.