Two Cups of All-Purpose Flour and Two Cups of Sugar
1-teaspoon baking soda
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
3/4 ounce of brewed coffee (cooled)
3/4 cup milk evaporated
1-tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon shortening
4 ounces of semisweet chocolate, melted (cooled)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 baking pan or two 9-inch rounds or three 8-inch round layer pans.
3. Combine evaporated milk and lemon juice in a measuring cup. Allow standing while you collect the remaining ingredients.
4. Pour the remaining ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, shortening, eggs, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate) into the bowl of your stand mixer. To begin combining the components, begin the mixer on a gentle speed. Add the 3/4 Cup of brewed coffee to the previous step’s milk mixture. The lemon juice will have somewhat curdled the milk’s appearance. That is what you desire. Gradually combine the coffee milk mixture with the remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl. Add three to four additions while the mixer is running.
5. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds to moisten the components. When necessary, scrape the bowl
6. Beat at high speed for three minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
7. Pour uniformly into a pan (s)
8. Bake the oblong pan for 40-45 minutes or the layers for 30-35 minutes. Or, until a clean wooden skewer put into the center comes out
TIP: To make this cake even more delicious, stir 3/4 cup of chocolate chips into the batter at the end of mixing. This cake is suitable for two or three layers but is too delicate for torting (dividing the layers to create more layers)
Recipes for frosting and filling are not included in this article. Between the layers, I employ a Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling. I use cooked Chocolate Fudge Icing for the frosting. Both of these recipes can be found on my website. Essentially, any favorite frosting recipe will work. I simply enjoy this flavor combination because it imparts a unique flavor to each chocolate used. The chocolate fudge cake‘s flavor is enhanced by coffee, the cream cheese lends a tang to the filling, and the frosting has a deep, rich chocolate flavor. I have also utilized a delicious raspberry filling with this cake. The coffee icing that complements this cake recipe is really delicious.
Time required for preparation: 15 minutes (s)
30-35 minutes of cooking time for layers. 40 to 45 minutes for one pan.
Twelve servings (yield) are produced.