Niacinamide, also known as Vitamin B3, is known for its wide range of benefits for skin care. It is highly praised for its high antioxidant count and acne-fighting abilities that help diminish the appearance of wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. Thus, having a niacinamide serum in your skincare routine lays tons of benefits to your skin health.
Considering its undeniable advantages, it works well when added to your anti-aging and anti-acne routines. So, how often should you use it? Let’s explore its application, benefits, and recommendations to boost your anti-acne routine.
Is niacinamide good for your skin?
Niacinamide (or nicotinamide) is an amino acid derivative and an important member of the B vitamin family. It is a water-soluble vitamin that plays an important role in deriving energy from food. In addition, it helps in metabolizing protein, fat, and carbs. Niacinamide as a serum is thus regarded highly in the skincare domain due to its natural ability to treat acne, dryness, and premature aging.
This Vitamin B3 serum can benefit your skin by improving the appearance of skin texture and curing fine lines. As a result, it helps reduce redness and inflammation, thus giving a more even skin tone and youthful glow.
Including niacinamide in your skincare routine offers the following benefits:
- Improves collagen production: Niacinamide helps boost collagen production, resulting in a healthy skin cell turnover to give you younger-looking skin. It also helps the skin shed dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores.
- Fades hyperpigmentation: With the skin generating newer and younger cells, skin becomes clearer and more even-toned. Niacinamide also decreases melanin production to lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Cuts down bacterial activity: Topical niacinamide treatment helps reduce the activity of Propionibacterium acne, a naturally-occurring bacterium that causes acne. This vitamin also reduces skin irritation caused by environmental stressors or ingredients like retinol.
- Controls the production of sebum: Excess sebum production in oily skin types can make the skin prone to pimples and acne. By regulating excess oil, niacinamide reduces open pores and acne marks without drying the skin.
- Reduces inflammation and redness: Packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, niacinamide can help reduce inflammation and redness caused by acne. Thus, it controls pimples and also prevents post-acne blemishes and scars.
- Improves skin barrier function: Niacinamide helps your skin retain moisture by keeping its epidermal barrier and lipid layer intact. In addition, it increases the level of ceramides to balance the skin’s moisture level. Ceramides are crucial to decrease moisture loss to keep the skin hydrated.
How to use niacinamide as a serum?
The easiest way to incorporate niacinamide into your daily skincare regimen is as a serum. It is well-tolerated by all skin types and is considered a suitable alternative to salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and retinol. In addition, it is available as a moisturizer, cleanser, and face mask.
When you start using a niacinamide serum, you should keep the following pointers in mind:
- Cleanse the face: Cleanse the face well before applying any serum. Your skin should be free from excess oils, SPF, dirt, and makeup. It will help the serum effectively reach the skin’s deeper layers.
- Lighter to heavier: Begin your skincare routine by applying the serum. Apply it after toner (if using) and before oil-based or heavier serums. Follow up with moisturizer and sunscreen.
Note: Applying heavier products first may hamper the absorption of your Vitamin B3, which is water-soluble. So, always remember to put lighter formulations before heavier products.
- Let it sink in: Apply the product on the damp skin and allow it to absorb each layer of the skincare ingredients you use. Don’t use more than two serums at a time, and apply each after a gap of 4-5 minutes.
- Use it twice a day: Make it a part of your morning and nighttime routines. Niacinamide does not increase sun sensitivity and has antioxidant properties that protect the skin from free radical damage and pollutants.
Which is the best Vitamin B3 serum for glowing skin?
If you are using niacinamide as a serum for the first time, you should start with a serum that has less than 2% niacinamide. It should contain natural and toxin-free ingredients that do not irritate the skin. We recommend Mamaearth’s Skin Correct Face Serum with Niacinamide which can help minimize enlarged pores and reduce acne marks.
It combines the power of niacinamide with ginger extract, an antioxidant that boosts melanin production and inhibits collagen degradation. Regular use of this niacinamide serum leaves you with an even skin tone and prevents irritation caused by acne.
A Vitamin C boost for your skin
Before applying your Vitamin B3 serum on your face, cleanse your face with a Vitamin C-infused face wash to remove dirt and grime from your skin. We recommend Mamaearth Vitamin C Face Wash to eliminate dirt and excess oil and offer skin-brightening benefits. It makes the skin radiant and healthy if used twice a day.
Vitamin C products helps fight sun damage, boosts skin cell regeneration, and smooths the skin. In addition, Turmeric exfoliates the skin to remove dead skin cells and other impurities. This Vitamin C Face Wash also contains aloe vera and glycerin that help the skin retain moisture to remain soft and glowing.
Mamaearth’s Vitamin C Face Wash repairs the skin by increasing collagen production and also improves blood circulation. It is dermatologically tested and suits all skin types. In addition, it contains no harmful chemicals or toxins like parabens and sulfates. You should use it twice daily and follow it with your serum and moisturizer.
Find your youthful glow!
Niacinamide serum is a well-known skincare product that can help your skin look younger, healthier, and more radiant. Also known as nicotinamide or nicotinic amide, niacinamide is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. In addition, the properties of Vitamin B3 Serum can improve your skin’s overall health and function.
Mamaearth’s Niacinamide Serum has the additional benefits of ginger extract that boosts melanin activity, Zinc PCA that decreases sebum secretion, and glycerin that attracts moisture to keep your skin hydrated. Mamaearth’s Skin Correct Face Serum with Niacinamide and Ginger Extract is dermatologically tested and suitable for all skin types. It is also free of sulfates, parabens, and mineral oils.