If you are looking for all the medical services such as a family doctor, community health service, or hospital care within a limited rate or out of free, then a medical card is essential for you. Here you learn about the medical card and its benefits.
You also know how to apply for and use the medical card in 2022, what the qualification to grab it is and how to renew your medical card and which age is perfect for getting this card. Let’s learn about it.
What is a medical card?
The permitted officials of a health board, primary care trust, local health board, health authority or health or social service board issue medical card for the users. The person who gets the card can receive several facilities, including his or her family. As:
- Free medical assistance
- Maternity medical surveillance services.
- Minor surgery services
- Child health service
- Free GP family doctor services
- Prescribed drug or medicine
- Dental, optical and aural services
- Some personal or social care services
- Public health nursing, social work services, and community care services.
Besides, this card also helps in short-term counseling for the psychological issue and a range of other benefits at reduced rates or free and without any text. The GP card only allows accessing a family doctor free.
How to use a medical card?
First, before going for any medical treatment, you need to carry it with you along with pictures
Id. If you forget to carry it then, still you can get services with the help of your medical card number. You may also need to provide the following information:
- Date of birth
- Social security number
Keep this card in a safe place without sharing it with others. Show it to any healthcare appointment to avail of the services.
After getting your services, keep your medical card safely with you for later use.
How to apply for a medical card:
Apply online on mymedicalcard.i.e. or on verihile website. Here you can know about the countries which are applicable for getting online medical cards. You can download the medical card application form too.
- First of all, fill-up the form with the information of your own.
- Then, you may need to input your PPS number you will find on your pay slip and p60form.
- If you are married or have a spouse, you may need to fill out an extra form with the details of your partner.
- Provide details information about your income and expenses with reliable documents.
- Then, search GPS for medical card holders from your local health centre or local health officer in your area.
To complete the registration, fulfill all the procedures including uploading photos, scans, and photocopies of the original documents that are specified on the form.
Who is qualified for a medical card?
It varies by state. Some countries prefer strong physical conditions and some countries are not. Besides, if your weekly income is below a certain figure for your family size, you can apply for the medical card. Before that, you need to sit for a mean test. The things that come into account in this test are:
- Your income
- Your age
- Besides, cash income, savings, investment, and property without your own home matter.
How long does it take to get a medical card?
The whole process from registration to application it may need 15 days. If any documents are missing, then it may take a few more time.
How to get a new medical card?
You will get a medical card or GP card for a particular period. After ending the validity date, you can no longer use it. Then, you will get an email from the official site to renew your medical card. You need to renew your card following the steps below:
- Access GP visit card
- You will get a pin number to enter
- Use the pin and go to the “online medical card application system.”
- You may need to update the information if anything has changed.
- You may need to finish some corresponding paperwork.
- You need to pay the applicable fees.
- Then, within a few days or weeks, you will get a new medical card via email.
Age for a medical card:
Age between 16-25 are eligible for the medical card but in certain conditions.
- If they depend on their guardian.
- If the guardians have a medical card.
- If they are financially independent.
Who can get a medical card with no mean test?
- Children under 18 years diagnosed with cancer in the last 5 years
- Drug affected people
- Women who are suffering from symphysiotomy
- Foster children
- People living in direct provision accommodation
- Women who lived in a certain institution.
How to get a new medical card if it is lost or damaged?
Ask for the new one using your online security application on my Social Security
If you have no account, open a new account by signing in online.
Then, log in and go to the “replacement Documents tab”
Then, click on “Mail My Replacement Medical Card”
Then, within a few days, you will get an email with a new medical card.
As a whole, now you know all the details about medical card, how to apply for medical card on online. Now it is very easy to do. You need to follow some simple steps as given earlier.