Common Signs of Poisoning in Dogs

71
Animal Hospital

There are many things that dogs do resemble humans and when we add one more similarity, we should always count poisoning among them. There are many toxins and plants, some chemicals, or food items that can be dangerous for your dog to consume. The most common causes of poisoning in dogs can be found in your bathroom cabinet, in the backyard, in spoiled food while on a walk, and in human food that may be stolen off the counter or dropped from the kitchen table or some garbage bin. Well, no matter what the toxin is or where it happened, there are several things that you need to know to notice about a dog emergency and find out potential signs of poisoning and take quick and necessary steps to help your dog get back to its previous health.

Intentional Poisoning

Intentional poisoning is something that is done on purpose and is rare and can be difficult to detect without any hard evidence that your dog was poisoned. However, if a dog owner suspects someone has intentionally poisoned their pet, then they can follow the steps of the legal procedures and must contact their veterinarian along with the police. Your veterinarian may be able to detect toxins with the help of diagnostic testing falling under the case of a pet emergency. If your dog has died, a veterinary diagnostic lab or a query about an emergency animals hospital near me may give you the best options to be able to perform an autopsy to determine the possible cause of death.

Common Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning

There are many things that do indicate the signs of poisoning in dogs and this includes a mangled plant, empty bottle, or missing food items. Hence, there are many clinical signs that could indicate your dog has eaten a toxic food or chemical, poisonous plant, or rotten dog food. The list gives you a general idea of common signs to look for, and as a pet owner if you suspect your dog has been poisoned then your veterinarian can find it with the help of proper testing and a complete physical examination. 

A dog eating a toxic plant is a common reason for dog owners to call the veterinarian as the situation can be extremely urgent and alarming depending upon the plant.

The most common signs related to poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and seizures. Well, In severe cases, ingestion of poisonous plants can often lead to liver failure, kidney failure, and cardiovascular issues.

Clinical signs of poisoning in a dog may include the following reasons.

  • Gastrointestinal: vomiting, diarrhea, extreme salivation, loss of appetite, and nausea or dry huffing.
  • Internal bleeding: This is indicated by pale gums, a racing heart, coughing up or vomiting blood, weakness or lethargy and also if dogs falling over or collapsing.
  • Kidney failure: signs include increased or decreased urination, increased drinking as well as lack of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Liver failure: yellow gums, melena, vomiting, diarrhea, and collapsing due to low blood sugar.

What You Should Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned?

It is advised to monitor your pets closely when they go for walks or are playing in the backyard. Still, If you know your dog has eaten something poisonous, here is what you can do:

  1. First of all, you should make sure your dog is breathing, alert and behaving normally.
  2. Keep your dog and every other person away from the source of the poisoning. Figure out what was eaten and keep any instructions of information about the product or object. That will help medical professionals and vets make the right decision for treatment.
  3. If the poison is stuck in the dog’s fur, then wash your dog thoroughly, only if you can do so safely.
  4. Don’t use any home remedies or antidotes that are made by you. Also, don’t try to make your dog vomit before you actually talk to a veterinarian. Vomiting may be the right approach however it might also be dangerous based on what your dog consumes and what’s happening inside the dog’s body.

If your dog requires medical help, call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency dog hospital as soon as possible. The sooner you get help for a poisoned dog, the better the chances are for your dog to recover from poisoning.

Bottom Line: 

Treatment that is done at home under a veterinarian’s orders or in a veterinary dogs emergency hospital will be always specific to the poison. Your veterinarian may also recommend that you encourage vomiting in your dog in some situations. Once you are in the hospital, your vet specialist may give your dog intravenous fluid, flush your dog’s stomach and give your dog activated charcoal to absorb the toxin and in more complicated situations, he/she will perform surgery.

With that in mind, we suggest you keep an eye on your dog about what he eats, and in case you feel like something seems off,  it’s better to consult your vet instead of trying something on your own.