Check Out The Student Visa 500 Checklist And Eligibility Criteria In Australia


The Student Visa 500 is an Australian student visa issued to international applicants who move to Australia for studies. While most Australian substantive visas allow holders to study at an education institute in addition to other benefits, the 500 Visa is exclusively designed for students. Currently, Australia is among the top three popular study destinations globally. It has happened because of its world-class and globally recognised education system, research opportunities, highly qualified staff, and attractive job opportunities.

So, you will acquire a great learning experience when you come to Australia to study. Read this blog to know the important eligibility criteria and document checklist for your Visa Subclass 500.

How can you become eligible for the Student Visa 500?

If you want to qualify to apply for the Student Visa Subclass 500, you must satisfy the following eligibility criteria.

Age requirement

First, you have to check whether your age is above 6 years if you are still in school. In addition, you should also keep in mind the following information.

  • You must be under 17 years at the time of beginning Year 9.
  • You must be under 18 years at the time of beginning Year 10.
  • You must be under 19 years at the time of beginning Year 11.
  • You must be under 20 years at the time of beginning Year 12.

Getting enrolled in an eligible course

Before starting your visa application, you must enrol in an eligible course in a registered Australian institution. Once the institute accepts you, you will be required to pay the required fee. Upon payment, you will receive the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document. At the time of application, you have to show this document.

Welfare arrangements if you are under 18

If you have not become an adult yet, specific welfare arrangements must be made during the application. These arrangements include the following.

  1. You must have your guardian in Australia, who may be a parent or relative (aged 21 years or more). The guardian should hold an Australian visa that will remain valid until you become an adult.
  2. You must obtain your CAAW (Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare) form from your institute.
  3. If you come to Australia as a secondary exchange student, do not forget to get your AASES (Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student) form.
  4. You must also obtain the relevant documents if you are sponsored by the Department of Defence or Foreign Affairs.

English language requirements

In Australia, you have to interact with people in English, study in English, and hear English in every public place. So, having the necessary English language skills is highly necessary. To prove that you are good in English, you must submit the result of a relevant English language test like IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, or OET. Englishfirm Parramatta reminds us that you can of course practice and get classes to help pass these tests, so there’s no need to panic.

But if you hold a passport from an English speaking country like the US, the UK, Ireland, Canada, or New Zealand, you will fall into the exemption category.

Having a valid health insurance

One of the vital Student Visa 500 requirements is that you and the other applicants included in your application must hold a valid Australian health insurance cover. Usually, you will need to have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from the day you arrive in Australia and maintain it until you leave this country.

You will be exempted from this requirement if you meet the following conditions.

  • You are from Norway and hold the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • You are from Sweden and covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • You are from Belgium and covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the two governments.

Monetary requirement

As a student visa applicant, you must have enough funds to support tuition fees and other staying costs. Currently, the yearly expense for an international student in Australia is around AUD21000, and this expense will automatically increase if you bring dependent applicants with you.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

You must also show that you are a genuine visitor to Australia and return to your home country once your course is over.

Health and character requirements

The Australian Government is strict about public health, and therefore, you should not have any serious health condition that requires constant support. You and your family members may also be asked to undergo specific health examinations.

You must also have no records of criminal activities in the past. Otherwise, your application will not be approved.

No record of visa cancellation

The Department of Home Affairs will never grant you your student visa if you have any record of visa cancellation.

What Documents Should You Gather?

Before you start gathering your documents, do not forget to look at the ‘Document Checklist Tool’ on the Department of Home Affairs website. To check the required documents, you have to enter the name of your education provider and country of passport. The tool is updated twice each year, first on 31 March and then on 30 September. So, you must make sure you get the most updated Student Visa 500 checklist before making your application. Required documents are as follows.

Identity documents

  • Copy of the passport pages containing your details, photo, and issue and expiry dates of your passport
  • Copy of one of your national ID cards
  • Name change proof, if applicable

Documents that prove your acceptance to the institute

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • AASES form, if you’re a secondary exchange student
  • A letter of support, if you’re sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade

Documents proving your financial capacity

  • Bank account statements
  • Government loans or loans provided by a financial institution
  • Any financial support, such as a scholarship

OSHC details

  • Policy number, insurance provider’s name, and issue and expiry dates of the policy if an agent provides the health insurance
  • Insurance provider’s name and issue and expiry dates of the policy, if your institute provides the health insurance

GTE documents

Your GTE statement should include the following details:

  • Your family and social ties
  • Employment and asset ties in the home country
  • Career Prospects of the course you are choosing to study in Australia
  • Previous visa records, if any
  • The current situation in your country

English language documents

You have to submit the score of an English language test. IELTS is the most accepted test, and a minimum overall score of 6 with 5 in each band is required.

Dependent applicant documents

For your spouse or partner, you must submit:

  • Identity papers
  • English language documents
  • Character documents
  • Relationship documents like a marriage or relationship registration certificate
  • Documentary proof that both of you are committed to each other

Documents related to taking professional help

If you want to take help from a Registered Migration Agent Perth, you have to submit a filled-out Form 956.

What can you do with this visa?

Meeting the eligibility and making a successful Subclass 500 Visa application will allow you to do the following.

  • You can study full-time in Australia.
  • Travelling abroad and returning to Australia will have no restrictions.
  • This visa will let you work for 20 hours a week.

Where can you find an immigration agent?

Several migration agencies deal with top-rated immigration agents in Perth. So, before you start your application, you can contact one of these firms. However, check whether they have valid registration and satisfying records before hiring your agent.